Koolveld

Koolveld'sList

I'm a guy who likes science fiction, and sometimes a classic.

To like, or not to like Luke Perry. That is the question.

La nuit des rapaces - Hermann Huppen

I always liked the post-apocalyptic tv series 'Jeremiah', that featured Luke Perry. Since no new seasons were made, I decided to read the first of the comic books that it was loosely based on.

How does the world turn into a post-apocalyptic nightmare? According to Hermann, comic book artist from Belgium, that's easy: You start a race war in the USA, let it get out of hand, and the United States will use tactical bombers to nuke it's own population. No wonder the tv series swapped that for a deadly viral plague that killed everyone except children.

Meet Jeremiah, a young guy from an agricultural settlement who also has a good sense of what's right and wrong. But, being a young guy, he stays out too late and can't get back to the settlement in time, so he has to stay outside, for the night at least. On the road he meets Kurdy: a dude (yes the comic uses 1970's Belgian language lol) who doesn't take life too seriously, thieving a bit when it suits him. He and Jeremiah join up on the road to another settlement. At first, Jeremiah is really annoyed by Kurdy, but during complications it turns out that Kurdy is streetwise, knows how to handle weapons, and is a good friend to have.

When they arrive at the settlement, it's much more of a hell hole than the quiet place where Jeremiah grew up. The place is ruled by the twisted slave trader "Fat Eye". Fat Eye cares more about his pet eagles than for the people of his town. Needless to say, Jeremiah and Kurdy take on this bastard and hope to liberate the town.

It's a solid comic that creates a world with potential.

But I can only give it 3 stars out of 5. Because it didn't really draw me into this world, not like the tv series did. The other comic books may be better, I don't know. But I can very much recommend the tv series Jeremiah ! Made by the great J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5 series, Spider-Man and Superman comics), starring Luke Perry as Jeremiah and Malcolm-Jamal Warner as Kurdy. Go watch it :)

Jeremiah and Kurdy